At Chettinad, don't miss the house- converted to museum next door to the Raja's palace. Among the Kitchen tools the best is the travelling kit. No self-repecting Chettiar would eat out, so this elaborate basket housed everything from masala dabbas and choppers to rice bins and ladle sets. Then there's traditional jewellery and clothing, huge copper water vats and grain bins...everyday items that trace the chettiar's way of life. The labelling isn't too good and a guide comes in handy. So far, entrance is free.
The famous Chettinad mansion also known as the Raja’s palace at Kanadukathan. It was constructed by S.A.Rm.Ramaswamy Chettiar.
The construction was started in 1902 and it took ten years for completion. It is huge extending over 40,000 square feet and rooms embellished with use of Burmese teak wood, Italian marble and English steel. It is just 10 km from Karaikudi. It is a main shooting spot in Tamilnadu, hence a lot of Tamil, Telugu films are shot in this palace. Proud to say that P.Chidambaram, Current Indian Cabinet Minister in Ministry of Finance, Congress Party-led United Progressive Alliance(UPA) Coalition Government led by Prime Minister was born in Kanadukathan, Sivaganga district. Don't miss the railway station, with the Raja's special waiting room.
Home of the famous Athangudi tiles. Visit a factory and see how these famous handmade terracotta tiles are patterned and sun-dried. They say it's the local sand that's the secret behind the texure.
Famous both for the Devakottai chicken and as the region's second largest town. Its streets are lined with old Chettinad mansions, the most famous being Periya Minor's Veedu, complete with Spanish tiled roof, Italian floor tiles and carved teak pillars.
At Kanadukathan, you see the Raja of Chettinad's palace and the museum next door. Don't miss the railway station, with the Raja's special waiting room.
Kamban Mani Mandabam
It was believed that the Great Tamil Poet Kavi Chakravarthy Kamban spent most of his lifetime with Nagarathars and also he died over here at Nattarasankottai. To honour him Kamban Mani Mandapam was built by Nagarathars and programmes about Tamil literature are conducted annually.
Kaviarsar Kannadhasan Mani Mandabam
Located opposite to the New Bus-Stand of Karaikudi is the Kaviarsar Kannadhasan Mani Mandabam in the honour of late poet-laureate Kannadhasan. It has two entrances and in between the two is the statue of Kaviarsar Kannadhasan. It has a library, Art Gallery and Photo Exhibition.
Kundrakudi Murugan Kovil
Arulthiru Shanmuganathan Holy Temple is situated at 10 Kms from Karaikudi, . Built around the year 1000 Lord Shanmuganathan is the presiding deity and the History is refereed to Mayuragiri Puranam. Marudhu Pandiyars Kings of Sivaganga renovated the Temple in thier days. Important festivals include Thaipusam in January, Panguni Uthram in March, Thirukarthikai in November, and Kandha Shasti in November prayers in temple bring relief from diseases and mental worries. The Devotees are blessed with good Children.
Pillayar Patti Lord Ganesh Temple
Pillaiyarpatti temple is a rock - cut temple located about 12 km's from Karaikudi on the Karaikudi Madurai road.It was built after hewing a hillock by the early Pandiya kings and the image of Karpaga Vinayaka and that of a Siva Linga were carved out of a stone by a sculptor called Ekkattur Koon Peruparanan who put his signature on a stone inscription found even today in the sanctum. He put his signature in Tamil Language which was in use between 2nd and 5th century AD. It can be concluded that the icon of Karpaga Vinayaka must have been carved around 4th century AD. This temple is 1,600 years old. The 14 stone inscriptions found in this temple, dated between 400 AD and 1238 AD reveal that the place was known as Ekkattur Thiruveengaikudi Maruthankudi Raja Narayanapuram before it came to be called Pillaiyarpatti.
The Village Kandadevi is situated 3 Km away from Devakottai Town. Here the Temple is called as Arulmigu Sowarna Moortheeswarar alias Siragilinather. The Amman is called as PeriyaNayaki Amman. This is 350 years old Temple. The Temple is maintained by Sivaganga Devasthanam, which is one amoung 84 Temples. The Temple is owned by the Sivagangai Raja legal heirs. Here Hanuman told to Rama as kanden deviyai. Hence this place is called as Kandadevi. The Aanni Urchavam is very famous festival for this temple, which is celebrated in every year, during the month of June by the people of 75 Villages
This is important of 108 Vaishnava temples. The Alwar Ramanujar has visited and prayed God Sri Vishnu. The God name is "Swamiya Narayana Perumal". The God is in five floors. This is famous South Thiruppathi. During every year, Masi Magam Teppamis celebrated here.
Thiruvenkadamudaiyan - ThenTirupathi
Dedicated to Lord Srinivasa Perumal, is a vast temple complex with a 100 year old history and referred to as "Then Tirupati" and "Arulmigu Ariyakkudi ThiruvenkadamudaiyanTemple". This temple was build by Nattukkotai Nagarathars. After 100 years, this shrine was renovated by the cost of Rs.10 million and Consecrated recently on 16th September 1999